So, they have to fix the cabinet and do a couple other small things that don't require an empty kitchen. So, here's what we changed in our remodel:
1. The house did not have a microwave, so we replaced our double oven with the advantium oven (functions as a microwave and an oven and has something called speedcook technology - still learning, but love it so far!) and a regular oven.
2. Replaced cabinets, countertops and backsplash. The old ones were all a dull tan color and the whole kitchen looked blah and blended in together. We added some cool things like built in garbage cans and pull-out spice racks that will utilize the space much better.
3. Re-painted to a lighter tan color. We have some wainscoting that was a baby-barf kind of tan, and we painted that green - it's awesome!
3. Our laundry room was off the kitchen with a small entryway to a door that goes outside. We took the door off the laundry room and closed off the little entry way to create a mud room. This way we can let the cat in, and have a space for a dog if someday we ever get one (all children must be able to clean up their poop before I add another pooper to the house!). Plus, the laundry room seems alot bigger without the door there.
4. We painted our butler's pantry green rather than replacing the cabinets, and got new countertop, backsplash and pulls to match the new cabinets.
5. We added some light to the kitchen as the old light was essentially useless. We got new fixtures and added 2 pendant lights above the breakfast bar area.
6. We added an butcher block top island, but we haven't moved it in quite yet. My husband is adding some oil to the top for waterproofing. Will be in soon. Also, we haven't taken the protective blankets off the kitchen table just yet. I'll probably do it this week.
Our kitchen is open to the living room, so we basically spend most of our time in that area. The new kitchen gives the whole house a new feel, and it matches the wood in our furniture and the rest of the house much better. The previous owner was trying to flip the house for a profit and I'm really not sure what he was thinking with the kitchen and the construction was not good, and the cabinets weren't all the same color, although subtly different.
In the end, we love it and are so sick and tired of eating out that we plan to spend A LOT of time in the kitchen in coming weeks!
Kitchen before and after: